FILM, MUSIC, FASHION, ART & INTELLECT.

Aspiring writer, film maker, & sports enthusiast.
This is my vision, my life & my journey.
You can enjoy the ride or you can bounce.
Hope you all follow a dream, but most importantly follow your HEART.
M A J O R H O U S E .

Thursday, April 1, 2010

GENERATION DUMB

I blame the 80's. A decade of rock & roll, hip hop, blazing fashion, drug use & gang violence. Exactly the baby's of the 60's gave birth to my generation, yes the 80's babies. Sounds cool but fuck we are probably the worst generation yet. Well let me not say worst let me just vent for a second.

OK 1st & foremost for some odd reason we desperately want to bring the 80's back...& for what? I have no clue. The past is the past for a reason no lie & it sickens the hell out of me to see another person walk around in some bleached skinny jeans & a Miami vice shirt. We need to move forward not backwards people.

Secondly we have this generation of kids who are madly in love with tattoos.
OK I'm biased on this one since I have none of my own however quick question for the chick that's already 21 with 5 tats or more. How do you think you're gonna look 40yrs from now at the family reunion?? I mean if its meaningful to your life go get blasted however if its not, & 8 out of 10 times its not, then sit your ass down somewhere. Stop rushing to go get flowers, stars & prayer hands tatted on you ladies & gentlemen. That shit is not cool & even if you think it is your doing it for a fad not for yourself. Also your body is a temple please treat it as such.

OK what's next? Oh yea shout out to all the young parents. I mean as of lately I gained a new fund respect for y'all but I to me the jury is still out. Like seriously WRAP IT UP!!!!!! FUCK!!!! Its not that bad with a condom on trust it prevents virus plus snotty nose ass kids!! All the dead beat dads step your fucking bars up. Stop ignoring your responsibility & become a man already!! & to all the child support dependent mothers get your shit together as well. Your kid is a person, not a check your waiting on. So get it in & go hard for you're seed with or without the help of the dead beats.

Oh yea & this retro metro skinny jean phase/ baggy pants sagging down to your ass crack thing has to stop. I mean seriously when will we realize that there is a reason why man created the belt. This is the kind of image that uses media to stereotype us, they see it the see the negative side of the culture of rap rock. All bad

Oh & last topic to vent on is money. Yes never has a generation has been so "pay check to pay check" as ours. Seriously has the recession taught us nothing? Way too many times do I see one person going hard in the club on a
Friday, buying drinks, VIP, new clothes etc. Then when Monday rolls around they are trying to borrow bucks for food during their lunch break. Priorities people priorities, we have to learn how to gain financial literacy & stop depending on parents, the shit isn't cool.

Again I love being 22 in LA but it puts a bittersweet taste in my mouth. Mainly because we have ten times more grind than our previous generations yet we sit in a level of complacency that is unmatched. I know we can do better because straight up we have to do better.

-Darrin Elliot

1 comment:

  1. Efff!!!! maybe I should start listening to my parents. It always goes in one ear and out the other. But to hear the same thing from someone of your own generation, it has to make you think. We have definitely gone all the way down hill. I'll admit that i've played my part in "generation dumb". I can admit that i've fallen into trends and irresponsible judgements. Do I regret them??? no. Have I learned from them??? yes. I can say that I will strive to no longer play my part in our destruction.

    Good job..this piece definitely got my mind going..and I hope it can do the same for others..

    So if the 60s made the 80s and look at us..what will the product of the 80s produce???

    ReplyDelete